Become an active learner!
Having a highly skilled teacher is awesome but not everyone has that luxury. Instead of relying on finding the best teacher, why not learn to be a better student? Not only will you learn more from the average teacher, but when you have better teachers, the combination will exponentially improve your dancing.
How do you become an active learner?
- Find the opportunity in everything, especially the situations you think of as “bad”. Are there more leads than follows… how could that be awesome for you? Are there more follows than leads… how could that be awesome for you? Is the class starting late… how could that be perfect? Give your thoughts in the comments below.
- Use every second available to you. If you find yourself without a partner, practice the movement on your own, grab someone else who is partnerless and practice with them, or watch the other dancers to see what they are doing well, what they are struggling with, and why they are doing well or struggling. Test your ideas & learn from your observations.
- Bring interest & enthusiasm. Teachers feed off of your attitude. It is very difficult to teach an inspiring class to people who come in with their arms crossed and stay as far away as possible from the instructor. At the same time, it is very easy to teach to a crowd of eager students and it is somewhat difficult to teach to those who are only somewhat interested. Show your interest and your teachers will find it much easier to be better teachers.
- Actively look for the things you like & actively ignore those you don’t. It is very easy to see something you don’t agree with or don’t like and start to focus on it and let it annoy you. When you let this happen, you are likely to start missing the things you would have found valuable. Teachers are there to give you tools and inspiration, take the ones you like and forget about the ones you don’t.
- Try out some of the suggestions above in your next dance class.
- Knowing is NOT doing… apply your knowledge!
- You can even learn from the comfort of your own home (or mobile device) with our Live Online Dance Training
- Add your own thoughts in the comments below
- Sharing with others is a great way to improve & it’s nice too!!!!
Dance it out,
Teacher in over 30 Countries, Creator of Dance Ninjas, World Lindy Hop Champion, American Lindy Hop Champion, US Open Swing Dance Champion, Enter the Blues Champion, & many other titles.